After 3 months I had to go back to work but was determined to achieve exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months.
How did I achieve this in an environment where light is not constant at all?
- I made sure I put my son in a crèche close to my office
- I expressed before bed every day.
- I expressed first thing in the morning every day.
- I took clean sterilized bottles and pump to the office.
- I pumped at will [I luckily secured an unused room in the office] and kept in the fridge portion of our water dispensing machine.
- I went to my son's crèche twice a day to breastfeed.
- A salient point is to make sure you take lots of fluids, mostly water
And alas! I succeeded in holding out till he was six months old and only then did I introduce formula in addition to breast milk.
Believe it or not he took about four bottles of 6-8 ounces of breast milk while in the crèche in addition to two breast feeds.
He was a big baby, real big and strong baby with big bones. He weighed 11.2kg at 6 months.
But the minute he started running around he dropped off all the baby fat.
It is worthy to note that very frequent pumping or breast feeds will ensure that your milk supply is continuous and adequate for your baby. I practically flowed like a “TAP”
Do you have any tips of your own? Share!
Read more here!